Why you need to watch for drunk drivers on Florida roads

Free Consultation

Book An Appointment

Contact Us
* By submitting this you agree to have our firm contact you regarding the matter.

How worried are you about encountering a drunk driver out there on the road? If you live in Florida, you may have good reason to be concerned.

According to statistics from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), Florida is one of the top three worst states for alcohol-related fatalities. (Only Texas and California have more.) On average, roughly 31% of fatal crashes in Florida involve alcohol.

That’s disturbing for any driver to hear. It also means you need to be prepared if you see a driver behaving erratically on the road.

What do you do if you suspect a driver is impaired?

If you see a vehicle behaving strangely, you only have a limited range of options. If you ignore it, the driver could go on to seriously injure or kill someone. It’s also not a good idea to investigate or try to get the driver’s attention, since that could cause the situation to spiral out of control (especially if they’re prone to aggression).

The wisest thing you can do when you see what you suspect might be an impaired driver is the following:

  • Fall back or pull over. Don’t try to keep pace with the other driver if you suspect they’re impaired because that could easily lead to a wreck.
  • Call 911. Do this either with a hands-free device or once you are stopped.
  • Describe the vehicle with as much detail as you can, including the make, model, any part of the license plate you remember, plus the location you last saw it and the direction it was going.
  • Explain why you think the driver may be impaired.

Ultimately, there’s no sure-fire way to avoid a crash with a drunk driver. If you end up in one or a loved one is killed, find out more about what it takes to hold the liable parties responsible.


Call Today to Schedule a Free Consultation

Schedule a free initial consultation with an experienced lawyer from Phillips, Hayden & Labbee, LLP. The sooner you get us involved, the more we can do to help you.

(727) 888-PAIN

What Our Clients Say