Michael J Labbee
Civil Litigation | Personal Injury
Although bilingual (English and French), Michael typically speaks only one language: advocacy. Through meticulously crafted arguments, Michael has waged battle on behalf of his clients in state and federal courts throughout Florida. If your cause or claim needs a champion, look no further.
Michael’s experience includes litigating a variety of personal injury claims, contract breaches, and real estate disputes. In addition to his significant trial practice, Michael has also served as appellate counsel for clients in each of Florida’s five district courts of appeal, the Florida Supreme Court, and the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit.
After receiving his undergraduate degree from the University of Central Florida, Michael went on to earn his J.D. with honors from Stetson University College of Law. Upon graduation, Michael began practicing complex commercial litigation with a large national firm representing major corporations and high-net-worth individuals. Having a strong preference for representing the underdog, Michael departed the silk-stocking world of “Big Law” and founded Phillips, Hayden & Labbee, LLP—an innovative law firm that leverages the latest technology to bring forward more effective legal solutions.
When he’s not fighting for his clients, Michael can be found playing golf, tennis, or enjoying the waters of Florida’s gulf coast with his family.
University of Central Florida | Orlando, Florida
- Reversed a final summary judgment determining that an insurance carrier was not required to provide coverage with published opinion. Hurchalla v. Homeowners Choice Prop. & Cas. Ins. Co., Inc., 281 So. 3d 510 (Fla. 4th DCA 2019).
- Quashed a local ordinance infringing on private property rights. Elizabeth Schuh, et al. v. City of St. Petersburg, 2019-AP-000046.
- Reversed a final order awarding attorneys’ fees in eminent domain action with published opinion. Florida Gas Transmission Co., LLC v. Johnson, 264 So. 3d 336 (Fla. 1st DCA 2019).
- Defeated emergency petition for writs of prohibition and certiorari. Maggy Hurchalla v. Lake Point Phase I, LLC and Lake Point Phase II, LLC, Case No. 4D18-0764.
- Secured full affirmance of $4.4 Million jury verdict on a claim for tortious interference with a contractual relationship. Hurchalla v. Lake Point Phase I, LLC, 278 So. 3d 58 (Fla. 4th DCA 2019).
- Reversed a final summary judgment in favor of the defendant with published opinion. The Bank of New York Mellon v. Daniel Stallbaum, 230 So. 3d 1271 (Fla. 5th DCA 2017).
- Obtained a complete defense verdict in a one-week jury trial related to various claims of fraud and negligence against a client’s former employee.
- Secured favorable final award in binding arbitration related to an employment and shareholders’ dispute.
- Obtained a $4.4 Million jury verdict on a claim for tortious interference with a contractual relationship.
- Defended a global company against class action claims under the Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974 (“ERISA”) for unpaid benefits and breach of fiduciary duty related to the company’s employee health benefit plan.
- Secured a favorable final judgment for a national corporation after a two-week trial on a claim for breach of contract related to the failed development of 50+ acres of waterfront property. The final judgment was affirmed in full on appeal.
- Leadership St. Pete (Class of 2020, Planning Committee 2021)
- The Tampa Connection, Class of 2016-2017, Alumni Board 2017-2019
- Great Futures Professional Council for the Boys and Girls Clubs of Tampa Bay, Founding Member
Personal Injury Experience
- $606,000.00 pre-suit settlement in premises liability case resulting in significant injuries to a minor child including third-degree burns.
- $100,000.00 pre-suit settlement on behalf of a pedestrian injured in a crosswalk by a negligent driver.
- $100,000.00 pre-suit settlement for driver injured in rear impact collision while stopped at a red light.
What Our Clients Say
PERSONAL INJURY CLIENT
When I first called their office I was able to speak to a paralegal and an attorney right away. They answered all of my questions. Throughout the process of my case the attorneys were in constant contact with me. I knew every step of the process. The staff and attorneys were very easy to talk to. I was extremely pleased with the outcome. My medical bills were high. They managed to get my doctors to write off a lot of the bills which saved me money. PHL is a great law firm. I highly recommend them to anyone. I promise, you won’t be disappointed.
REAL ESTATE CLIENT
I called numerous attorneys, Michael Labbee was not only the only attorney to call me back at all but called me the same day during his personal time. In the consult, he confirmed my rights as a party to this contract, went over all the ramifications the seller would incur by breaking our contract, and went over cost of litigation if that’s the route I needed to take. I felt more empowered at my options. He was not only knowledgeable and to the point, but kind (yet clearly willing to go to bat to people in their place for my rights!).
PERSONAL INJURY CLIENT
Outstanding attorneys. Extremely knowledgeable of the law. They don’t back down from a challenge!
BUSINESS TRANSACTION CLIENT
We hired Michael Labbee to build several contracts for our business. Michael and his team are very knowledgable and professional about multi aspects of what we need help on.
PERSONAL INJURY CLIENT
After my accident I contacted Tyler Hayden to get his advice on legal help and he said don’t worry, we can take care of this and that’s exactly what that firm did. From day one I felt comfortable talking to the lawyers and knew they had my best interest. I would 100% recommend Phillips, Hayden, & Labbee to handle your personal injury case. I’m glad I did.